Monday, January 3, 2011

Front Of House

Back in 1888, when the embers from the Great Chicago Fire were still burning hot in people's memories, someone decided to build a row of pitched-roof brick cottages along Huron street.  In the 1960's some of the home owners got so tired of banging their heads on their sloping attic ceilings that they scraped their pitched roofs, built up their side walls a couple of feet and created a whole second floor of livable, inhabitable space.  My house and the one next door went through their remodels around the same time and while my neighbors opted to use wood for their build-up my owners used brick in the front and back and wood with siding on the sides of the house.  The picture below shows my house on the left, my neighbor's remodeled home and on the right a house with long-suffering owners who don't mind squat-walking through their attic as they pull out and put away boxes of Christmas decorations every year.
Now, lest you think my neighbors have left their halloween decorations out through New Years Day, this is an old picture taken before work was started on the house.  I love these decorations and hope they put them out again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment